Just in the nick of time I’ve finished my project for Sew for Victory! For those not familiar, Sew for Victory is a non-competitive 1940s-themed sew-along hosted by Rochelle of Lucky Lucille where participants recreate a sewn item from the 1940s using authentic or reproduction patterns. There are some fabulous garments over in the Flickr pool that you should definitely check out!
For my entry, I decided to I really wanted to make a reproduction 1940s apron after watching one of my favorite documentaries, Time Warp Wives (the series follows vintage-enthusiasts in Britain and is a much-watch for those interested in the vintage lifestyle). The apron was such a ubiquitous part of everyday life for women in the 1940s, and I really wanted to pay homage to that (plus, heart-shaped pockets!!!!).
The pattern I used is this reproduction one by Wearing History. This was my first time using a Wearing History pattern, and I had a little bit of trouble with the directions (it probably partially was my own fault, as I’ve been sewing for so long that I tend to skim over instructions, which sometimes backfires). My apron is made from a reproduction 1930s fabric that I found locally at Fabric Depot. I used olive green bias tape to both finish the edges, as well as provide a contrast to the red, black, and green in the print. The method I used for bias binding (and there are several options included in the pattern) is to sew the bias binding right-sides together to the fabric, then open and press to the back, and stitch-in-the-ditch on the right side to secure all layers.
By far, the hardest part for me was mitering the corners (I don’t quilt nor make napkins, so I don’t really use this technique). After some seam-ripping, I finally consulted the Googles, and found this really helpful tutorial on how to miter corners with bias tape.
While I loved the finished apron. there are definitely some things I would change if I were to make this again (which probably won’t be for awhile, as OMG! So much bias tape!), namely making the waist ties a little longer (they were a bit on the short side for me, although the yardage requirement for this pattern is definitely in keeping with fabric restrictions of the time).
Well, I finally finished my circle skirt as part of Casey’s fabulous Circle Skirt Sew-Along. The skirt is made out of tan Pendleton wool that I got at the Washougal outlet for like $1.99 a yard. When you add in the price of the zipper and thread, the skirt cost about $5 to make.
I love this skirt so much! Even though it’s so totally basic (in both color and cut) there’s something so elegant and classy about it. Especially when combined with a black cashmere cardigan and patent heels. And red lipstick, of course!
Oh! And one with my favorite vintage hat! I really like how you can see the folds forming in the fabric as you move towards the bottom of the skirt in this shot.
Oh, and I totally realize that my cashmere sweater is missing a button! It fell off and I meant to sew it back on, but it’s at my parents’ house, which is about 60 miles away from where I am. So, that will get sewn back on this weekend.
Fabulous sewing blogger Zoe has come up with SSS ’11 as a way to push seamstresses to incorporate more of their handmade garments into their everyday lives. Sewing my own modern clothing is something that I’m so passionate about, particularily since our clothing choices today tend to be dictated by corporations that produce shoddy items sewn by poor sweatshop workers. I feel like this challenge is a push to the next level of avoiding modern-day consumer culture by trying to wear something that I’ve sewn myself everyday. While I’m not aiming to be dressed head-to-toe in annaintechnicolor creations, I do want to try to wear at least one me-made item everyday. So with that in mind, I, Anna of annaintechnicolor, sign up as a participant of Self Stitched September ’11. I endeavor to wear one me-made item each day for the duration of September 2011.